Monday, February 12, 2007

Dressing Up For Jesus

This post is not about dressing up Jesus. I do not even know where to begin on that subject. This post is about a little experiment that I have been conducting on Sunday mornings. Three years ago, I accepted a position as the Minister of Youth and Children at a church in my home town. I do not regret taking the position but things change. I'll have to address that subject in another post.

About a year ago, I decided to gradually start dressing more casual. I figured I couldn't just walk in one Sunday morning wearing a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I went from a formal suit to a shirt, tie, and khaki pants. Two weeks ago, I dropped the tie and opted for a collared shirt and khakis. I happened to pass by a sweet old lady in our congregation who mumbled, "I see you forgot your tie". I just laughed and kept walking. What made me laugh more is that she is on the Personnel Committee. The laughter stopped when I realized that the majority of our church believes that we should dress up for Jesus.

I know that people have misused scripture to argue both sides of this issue. Some people would argue that true worship requires reverence. Others would say that God looks at our heart and man looks at our appearance. What amazes me is that my normal outfit for Sunday and Wednesday nights is a T-shirt, shorts, and sandals. I'm glad I haven't heard any complaints because I might have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe.

Does Jesus only care what I wear on Sunday mornings? If I spill some coffee on my shirt on the way to the church building, would Jesus want me to turn around and change shirts (I know my wife would)? Should we all wear choir robes? Should I wear a tie so that everyone knows that I am a "special holy person" with a higher calling than the average believer? Should our next youth Bible study be titled: "How to tie a Windsor knot"? Did God give us the spinning jenny so that almost everyone can afford a nice outfit? Is a five dollar tie alright or should I go for the fifty dollar tie?

I am really not concerned about church marketing and how dressing casual could help us reach more people. I also would never have the intestinal fortitude to wear a shirt that says, "These Are My Church Clothes!" I think that you might hurt someone that actually enjoys dressing up for church. There seems to be a fine line. I choose to walk that line without a tie for now.

No comments: